to Those Injured
Slip and Fall Accident
Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
These injuries can have devastating long-term physical and financial impacts. If you or a loved one experienced an injury due to a slip and fall accident, you could pursue several avenues to receive compensation for your losses and suffering.
Serious slip and fall accidents can result in the following injuries:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Damage to internal organs
- Internal bleeding
- Deep puncture wounds
- Dislocated bones
- Head trauma
Slip and fall accidents are a leading cause of injuries in Los Angeles and the United States at large. Over a million emergency room trips are the result of slip and fall accidents each year, according to the National Floor Safety Institute. Power Trial Lawyers’ team of experienced attorneys is here to help you understand your rights and options if you decide to pursue legal action after a slip and fall injury.
California Slip and Fall Laws
Under California law, individuals who sustain a serious injury from a slip and fall due to another party’s negligence have two years to file a claim.
To file a successful negligence lawsuit after a slip and fall injury in Los Angeles, you must be able to prove the following:
- The business or person responsible for the property had a duty to keep the premises safe
- The company or person failed to uphold their obligation to keep the premises safe
- Your injuries resulted from their failure to keep the premises safe.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, from the stairs of your home to an unsafe surface at work. If you were injured on someone else’s property due to a slip and fall, you might be able to pursue legal action.
Some of the most common places slips and falls occur are:
- Grocery stores
- Swimming pools
- Job sites
- Other places of business
Slip and Fall Accidents on Unsafe Stairs
Slip and fall accidents due to broken, defective, or otherwise unsafe stairs are some of the most common incidents personal injury attorneys come across.
Slip and fall accidents on stairways frequently occur due to:
- Poor lighting
- Unstable or uneven flooring
- Broken handrails or lack of handrails
- Slippery substances or uncleaned spills
- Uneven stairs with a varying rise and depth between steps
Slip and Fall Accidents on Wet or Unsafe Floors
Falling on wet or ill-maintained floors can cause serious injuries. Property owners have a legal duty to keep their property as safe as possible to prevent slip and fall accidents on wet floors. This means cleaning spills as soon as possible after they occur and displaying adequate signage warning patrons of wet floors.
Likewise, property owners must maintain the safety of their floors by ensuring there are no loose or uneven floorboards or loose carpeting that might cause patrons to trip.
Other Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Other common hazards that can cause slip and fall accidents include:
- Uneven sidewalks or floors
- Deteriorating floors
- Environmental conditions, such as rain, snow, or ice
- Unsafe ladders
- Inadequate safety protocols
- Loose floorboards, rugs, or mats on stairs
- Spills that have not been cleaned
- Grease, oil, or other spills on floors
As discussed, property owners must keep their premises safe from hazards. Unfortunately, many premises liability cases are due to slip and fall accidents.
If you were injured after a slip and fall due to a property owner’s negligence, you might sustain mild to severe injuries ranging from sprains, strains, and lacerations to broken bones, fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord damage. These injuries can result in lengthy and expensive hospital stays, surgeries, physical therapy, and general pain and suffering.
If you sustained a severe injury from a slip and fall, you might have to spend significant time away from work, meaning lost wages and sometimes loss of employment. If you can prove your injuries resulted from a property owner’s negligence, you may be able to recover some of these costs through a premises liability lawsuit.
Proving Liability in a Slip and Fall Injury Case
If you slip and fall because of a property owner’s negligence or failure to maintain their property, they may be held accountable for any injuries you sustain.
Factors to consider when proving liability in a slip and fall incident include:
- Whether the property owner was aware of the hazard but failed to respond reasonably
- Whether the property owner was responsible for the hazard that caused your accident
- If the property owner was aware of the situation, would another person have acted differently to remedy the situation if they discovered the problem first?
What Type of Settlement Can I Receive From a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
How much you receive from your settlement will depend on the details of your case. In California, the average slip and fall settlement is somewhere around $15,000 to $45,000.
Several factors are at play when determining a settlement in a slip and fall lawsuit, including the severity of your injuries and what type of loss you incurred.
Here are a few things that help determine how much a slip and fall case is worth:
- What type and how much damage occurred, such as medical bills, physical therapy costs, and other expenses incurred due to the injury
- Whether the victim will require long-term treatment or care
- Did the victim suffer a loss of income due to their injuries? If so, how much?
- Will the victim’s injuries prevent them from working in the future?
Other non-economic damages like pain and suffering may also be taken into consideration, but they are harder to calculate as they are subjective.
Based on the above information, you may be able to receive compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Property loss
- Expenses for physical and or other therapy used to treat trauma or injuries
- Loss of wages or job opportunities due to injury
- Psychological and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship and consortium
- Other costs incurred such as transportation to and from doctors’ appointments
Insurance companies may attempt to dismiss the severity of your claims, so it’s crucial to hire a qualified personal injury attorney who can fight for your rights and the settlement you deserve.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone’s property, gathering evidence directly after can help your case.
Steps that can help your case after a slip and fall include:
- Taking pictures of the accident scene and any visible injuries
- Talking to witnesses. Testimonies from witnesses who saw you slip or fall can significantly bolster your case.
- Acquiring a formal accident report. If you were injured at an establishment with a security team, you should be able to receive an accident report with an account of your injuries.
Gathering as much information and evidence as possible will help your attorney build the strongest case for you. However, if you cannot obtain pictures or statements, our attorneys will work hard to gather as much information as possible to help you achieve the settlement you deserve.
Let Us Handle Your Slip and Fall Injury Case
If you were hurt due to a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, it’s helpful to have a knowledgeable injury attorney by your side so you can understand the scope of your situation and what type of compensation you are eligible to receive.
Power Trial Lawyers’ team of experienced attorneys is here to help you through the often traumatic aftermath of a slip and fall injury. We’ll take care of the complicated legal work so you can focus on recovering. Call us today to get started with a free case evaluation.
No Fee Unless You WinFill out the contact form or call us at
(844) 844-POWER (76937) to schedule a case evaluation.